Adobe After Effects 101
Adobe After Effects is an industry standard tool for professionals working in 2D and 3D motion graphics, visual effects, and compositing. It offers a powerful, flexible and affordable toolset to help you deliver creative motion content for film, video, web and mobile.
This two day training course offers an introduction to the essential tools, techniques and operation of After Effects, equipping you with the key skills to develop the motion graphics and video content you need. Topics covered will include: an application overview, basic animation techniques, working with transparency and multi-layered video, applying and using basic effects, type animation, shape layers, working with nested and pre-composed compositions, and basic rendering.
Whether you already have some basic experience with After Effects, or are an absolute beginner, this course will give you a strong foundation in the core of the application and an introduction to it’s many features, tools and effects.
How will I benefit?
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Create motion graphics and animation and render this as video in the format of your choice.
- Understand the essential tools, techniques and workflow of After Effects.
- Learn the main keyboard shortcuts to increase your efficiency.
What will I learn?
- An overview of the After Effects workflow
- Project organisation and file management
- Essential keyframe animation techniques
- Using the anchor point; roving and hold keyframes, and motion sketch.
- Introduction to easing and the graph editor for animation refinement
- Understanding layer management and basic layer editing
- Frame rate and time stretch options
- Creating and using solid layers, adjustment layers and blending modes
- Finding, applying, modifying and animating effects
- Essential effects tour
- Applying and using layer styles
- Working with animation presets and Adobe Bridge
- Working with masks
- Working with alpha and luma transparency mattes
- Creating and formatting type
- Animating text on a path
- Fundamentals of the text animation system
- Using text animation presets
- Creating, modifying and animating basic shape layers
- Introducing parenting, nesting and precomposing
- Rendering in After Effects and Adobe Media Encoder
Welcome to After Effects
- What is AE
- Project structure
- Interface and palettes
- A first After Effects project
- About keyframes
- Anchor point essentials
- Motion sketch
- Orient and blur
- Roving and hold
- The graph editor
- Move, trim and slip
- Split and sequence
- Looping footage
- Image sequences
- Frame rate and time stretch
- Blending modes, effects and solids
- Finding and applying effects
- Effects animation and animation presets
- Adjustment layers
- Layer styles
Working with transparency
- Masks and mask animation
- Masking with the pen tool
- Alpha and luma mattes
- Multiple masks and modes
- Masks and paths for effects
Type and type animation
- Working with type
- Type on a path
- Basic type animation and presets
Basic shape layers
- Creating shapes layers
- modifying and animating shape layers
Parenting and nesting
- Understanding parenting
- Introducing nesting and pre-composing
- Render settings and the render queue
- Rendering with Adobe Media Encoder
Please get in touch with us for information on when we are running this course.
More information about this course
Attending the course:
- The course starts at 9:30 am on the first day and 9:00 am on the second day. Each day finishes at 5:00 pm.
- We're open from 8:30 am for coffee, papers and magazines and WIFI.
- Important things like great coffee, tea, water, biscuits, mints and lunch are provided.
- The course takes place in our training centre so no need to bring anything with you
- The price published is fully inclusive.
- We don't charge VAT (we're part of Leeds Beckett University so our courses are zero rated)